Before bad weather hits
- Add rock salt, sand, and a shovel to your emergency kit.
- Plan how you will heat your home if power goes out for a prolonged period of time.
- Stockpile enough food, water, and hygiene supplies for every member of your family, including pets and service animals, for at least 72 hours in an emergency kit.
- Winterize your car, including updating your car emergency kit with warm clothing and items to help if you get stuck away from home. Make sure to include food, water, and a way to signal for help.
- Winterize your home, including refreshing your emergency kit and checking insulation, especially around pipes.
- Test carbon monoxide and smoke alarms.