Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps buy food for your family. It is designed to raise nutritional levels and assist in the well-being of individuals in low-income households.

Who Can Get SNAP?

Families and individuals can receive this benefit. Eligibility is based on factors such as family size, assets (checking and savings accounts, stocks and bonds, etc.), income, and expenses. 

Ohio Direction Card

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Benefits are issued through the Ohio Direction Card. The Ohio Direction Card is a debit card. Customers cannot use more benefits than they are eligible to receive. When families use the card at the grocery store, the purchase is automatically deducted from their monthly benefit.
The Ohio Direction Card can be used at all grocery stores that display the Ohio Direction Card at their location.

As a recipient of Food Assistance, you are required to report any changes within 10 days of that change to avoid a potential fraud investigation. Changes include household members moving in or out, address changes, changes in your household expenses, and income changes.

You may report changes in any of the following ways:

  • E-mail information to
  • Mail information to LCDJFS, P.O. Box 10007, Toledo, Ohio 43699-0007
  • Fax changes to 419-213-8820
  • Drop Box located next to Entrance A at 3737 W. Sylvania Ave., Toledo, Ohio 43623
  • Calling our agency at 1-844-640-6446 Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
  • Login or Create your own Self-Service Portal account at the Ohio Benefits website
  • Bring in your verifications to be scanned Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 3737 W. Sylvania Ave., Toledo, Ohio 43623

Always ensure that your Case Number or Social Security Number are on all documents being submitted.

What can be bought with help from the supplemental nutrition assistance program?

Food, as well as seeds and plants to grow food.

You cannot use your Ohio Direction card to buy:

  • Pet food
  • Paper products
  • Household goods such as cleaning supplies
  • Food sold to be heated while you are still in the grocery store
  • Alcohol, tobacco, vitamins and medicines

When you apply for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance you will need to bring some verifications with you to complete the application process. Typically the items include:

  • Your original Birth Certificate
  • Your original Social Security card
  • Proof of age and citizenship
  • Proof of any income you receive
  • Proof of assets, such as bank account statements
  • Proof of housing costs and address
  • Proof of any child support benefits
  • Proof of disability (if you claim it)

What are the income guidelines?

Households whose gross monthly income is within 130% of the federal poverty level guidelines. 

It is a crime to trade or sell the Ohio Direction Card, use someone’s card without authorization, and use the Ohio Direction Card to buy non- food items.

If you are having problems regarding your Ohio Direction Card (the new food stamp card) please call 1-866-386-3071.

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (833) 620-1071, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant's name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to:

  • Mail: Food and Nutrition Service, USDA
    1320 Braddock Place, Room 334
    Alexandria, VA 22314; or
  • Fax: (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  • Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Request for Cash, Food Assistance and Medical Assistance (PDF)

Request for Cash, Food Assistance and Medical Assistance (Spanish) (PDF)

Apply for benefits online

Cash and SNAP Assistance Standards Help Sheet (PDF)

Lucas County Food Assistance Resource Guide

Request for SNAP Benefits Replacement (PDF)