I am caring for a family member or friend’s child. What support is available to me?
Kinship Care is when a relative or non-relative has taken over the full-time care, nurturing and protection of a child. The definition for kinship caregivers also goes beyond the scope of blood relatives and may include an adult who has a familiar relationship/bond with the child and/or family.

Qualified families may be eligible for the Kinship Permanency Incentive, which provides limited financial assistance to relative caregivers.

The Area Office on Aging Kinship Navigator program also provides support for older adults caring for relative children.

More information is available in the brochure, "Kinship Care: Relatives Caring for Children."
Kinship information

Show All Answers

1. How do I recognize child abuse or neglect?
2. Who is mandated by law to report suspected child abuse or neglect?
3. Who do I contact?
4. How do I submit a records request?
5. How do I submit a comment, question or concern?
6. What services do you provide?
7. Who does LCCS serve?
8. If my children are removed, how do I get them back?
9. How do I get custody of a child?
10. What is a Family Case Conference?
11. What will happen at the Family Case Conference?
12. What is an Administrative Review/ 90 Day Case Review?
13. Is it important to attend the meetings scheduled on my case?
14. I am caring for a family member or friend’s child. What support is available to me?
15. What is your policy on equity and inclusion?
16. How do I set up child support for my child?
17. I have a great program that would benefit LCCS clients. How do I get a contract with LCCS?
18. How do I request recent or historical records from LCCS or the Miami Children's Home?
19. How large is LCCS and how is it funded?