Prevention, Retention and Contingency Program
Prevention, Retention and Contingency Benefits
All voucher services are contingent upon availability of funding.
The PRC Program is designed to provide benefits and services to needy families and low income employed families to help move out of poverty and become self-sufficient. PRC support is short term and is not intended to meet ongoing needs. If eligible for PRC benefits, a voucher is issued for the service.
Who is eligible for PRC?
Families must have a minor child in the home, reside in Lucas County and meet the income guidelines. Pregnant women in their third trimester without other minor children also may be eligible. Some PRC services are also available to non-custodial parents of a minor child who live in Lucas County but in a separate household from the child.
What are the income limits?
The Family’s gross income must be under 200% of the Federal Poverty Limits.
A Family does not need to be receiving other benefits from Lucas County Department of Job & Family Services to apply or be eligible for PRC services.
What types of assistance is available?
View the PRC Plan for 2018-2019
Employment Materials - Up to $500.00 for 12 month cycle
- Uniforms and footwear
Must be necessary for employment and/or required by the employer/training program. Must provide itemized estimate and statement from employer that specifies the number of materials required. Applicant must have verified employment or verified offer of employment (to start within 30 days of application date) of a minimum of 20 hours per week at State minimum wage.
Professional licensure and/or testing fees
For state licenses, board certifications, and/or commercial driver’s licenses. Must complete Ohio approved course and meet all requirements for licensing/certification.
Vehicle Repairs - Up to $1,200.00 for 12 month cycleRepair costs are limited to the value of the vehicle established by NADAguides.com-low retail value.
- 2 estimates are required.
- Applicant must present valid Ohio driver’s license, proof of insurance, and proof of ownership or lease (must be in name for minimum of 90 days).
- Proof that repair is not covered under warranty.
- Repairs made to the body of the vehicle are limited to those needed to make the vehicle operable.
- Vouchers will not be issued for ongoing maintenance requirements of vehicle (oil, air, wipers, filters, tune ups, tire rotation). Tire replacement limited to only flat tires that cannot be repaired.
- If the repair cost exceeds $1,200, applicant must provide written documentation from the vendor that arrangements have been made for the payment of the balance of the amount due.
- Repairs are not subject to sales tax. No payment of tax will be made by the applicant or LCDJFS when LCDJFS is paying all or a portion of the bill.
GED Incentive - $375.00
- One-time payment of $375 upon completion of G.E.D. (must provide valid certificate)
- Must apply within 90 days of receiving valid certificate.
All of these categories have different requirements and verifications needed to complete the application process. A PRC application will need to be completed stating the need and assistance requested. If you have more specific questions on how to apply for the PRC program, contact (419) 213-8800.
Application for Prevention, Retention and Contingency Benefits
To view the income guidelines:
Cash and SNAP Assistance Standards Help Sheet